Sunday, January 2, 2011

2011



Naturally, this time of year, there’s a lot of talk about goals and the love/hate relationship we have with New Year’s resolutions. Instead of resolutions, I like to start my new year with a clean slate of what I’d like my coming year to look like. I do try to write down some goals and some aspirations. The past few years, I’ve given the coming year a word or name that summarizes my goals, my mission statement, my vision for the year.

A vision is how you see your life to be in the future (what you will be).
Goals are how you will accomplish your vision.
A mission statement is a short, concise statement of purpose.

Last year, my word was “Yes.” I think I’ve used “graciousness” a few times. (It’s a big motivation behind my personal vision.) This year, I’ve been vacillating between several words.

I’ve written about vision before. About having a vision. About having a written-down vision. That not having a vision in writing is the same as not having one.

Having written goals is as important as having a written vision--if you are planning to accomplish them. Goals without a vision can get you going in too many directions. Goals with a vision keep you focused and give you a great impetus to success.

So, to keep my focus, I’m once again going to name my year. Words I have contemplated for 2011: Here, Balance, Organize.

But, I think I’m going with FREEDOM.

Freedom from stress,
freedom from clutter,
freedom from debt,
freedom from the past,
but most importantly, freedom to be who God wants me to be.


6 comments:

  1. Love your declaration of FREEDOM! I would have to find a few different ones as I'm free of debt - except the debt to love one another and free of clutter - we've downsized umpteen times in all our moves and have no clutter. I'll be thinking a little more on this, thanks to you Dorothy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freedom... I love it, Dorothy!!

    A toast to freedom for us all in 2011.

    ~Andrea
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2011 is the year of "US"--meaning Gana and me. We decided to make a conscious effort to say no to extra stuff that eats up our time and energy and to spend more time together focussing on one another.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your choice of the word FREEDOM! And, your banner looks great!
    Happy New Year!
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the links to previous posts . . . they are very inspiring. Now to start writing . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the focus on Freedom. This year I chose Consistency, Proverbs 31, and Proactive as my three-prong approach to the year. I already finding my quest for consistency challenging and it's only January 4. This year should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Note: Anonymous comments are allowed so that those without blogger accounts can easily comment. However, please identify yourself or it will most likely not be posted. Thank you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails