Thursday, November 4, 2010

Giving Thanks, Day Four

Pumpkin.

"Oh how we love pumpkin season.
You did know this gourd-ish squash has its own season, right?
Winter, Spring, Summer, Pumpkin....
We anxiously anticipate it every year."

~Trader Joe's Fearless Flyer, October 2010


Last night I enjoyed Pumpkin Cheesecake ice cream with white chocolate chips at Coldstone for my grandson, Diego's 5th birthday.  (He had watermelon sorbet with gummy bears.) 

One of the reasons that autumn is my favorite season is pumpkin.  Not pumpkins.  Pumpkin. 

Pancakes, cheesecake, ice cream, lattes, cookies. 

But, way out in the front of the race, winning every time, is my very, very favorite: pumpkin chocolate chip muffins.  Yes, I think I could eat the whole batch by myself.  Make some yourself and see what I mean.


Pumpkin Chip Muffins

4 eggs
2 c. sugar
16 oz. canned pumpkin
1 1/2 c. vegetable oil
3 c. all-purpose flour
2 t. baking soda
2 t. baking powder
1 t. ground cinnamon
1 t. salt
2 c. (12 oz.) semisweet chocolate chips

(Note: This recipe has been adapted to healthier standards by substituting Sucanat, olive oil, freshly ground wheat flour and carob chips and still been a favorite.)

In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs, sugar, pumpkin and oil until smooth.

Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; add to pumpkin mixture and mix well.

Fold in chocolate chips.

Fill greased or paper-linedmuffin cups three-fourths full.

Bake at 400 degrees for 16 - 20 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.

Yield: about 24 standard-size muffins.  Enjoy. 











6 comments:

  1. Pumpkin is not my favorite unless it is covered in whip cream or cream cheese. :) These sound really delicious though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Laura, notice I didn't include pumpkin pie. I only like it covered with whipped cream, too. Lots and lots of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pumpkins is also not my favorite. My dad, however, LOVED pickled pumpkin, which mom canned for him every fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:17 PM

    All three of the commenting ladies so far do not like plain ole pumpkin pie... without whip?! Oh my goodness. I am speechless!

    :-P

    The plainer the pie, the more I like it... pumpkin pie, egg custard pie, lemon pie (no meringue)... all my favorites.

    But these muffins sound good, Lady Dorothy, so I will give them a whirl in the morning. Mind you I probably won't eat any but I'll enjoy watching the family nosh!! :-) Thank you for posting this recipe!

    Love~ Andrea
    xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you, Andrea, on liking it plain - just don't want other flavors trying to override the goodness of the pumpkin, custard, lemon, or whatever! But I plan to try these muffins - they do sound delicious.
    Thank you, Dorothy, for sharing so much of yourself with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't made these muffins yet this year. BUT, I baked some pumpkins on Wednesday so I am ready to go! Probably we'll eat them on Sunday morning. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Note: Anonymous comments are allowed so that those without blogger accounts can easily comment. However, please identify yourself or it will most likely not be posted. Thank you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails