Thursday, February 22, 2007

Country Clutch

In 1999, a friend named Valerie put together a small group of Christian ladies in our rural area with the objective of meeting together to learn practical and survival skills in case Y2K was the big problem people were saying it might be. We met monthly and learned such things as to how to cook without electricity. We found we enjoyed our meetings very much. January 1, 2000 came and went without a hitch, but we didn't let that keep us from still meeting. We were enjoying learning things from each other. So we began making doughnuts together, learning how to crochet rugs, and watching demonstrations of how to cut a young man’s hair. At one meeting, we decided we needed a name and voted on “Country Clutch” – a name I, personally, wasn’t too crazy about! A clutch is a brood of chickens! I wasn’t sure I wanted to be known as a hick hen! But, the name has grown on me and I still enjoy meeting with the women – though many of the faces have changed – eight years later!


Because sometimes life gets a bit busy, I haven't met with them for months. I've missed our meetings! Today, we came together in a new friend's home. Elsy taught us how to make homemade whole wheat tortillas. Though they may not have turned out perfectly round, it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. She showed us how to form them by hand using a technique I had never seen before. We all left with a nice stack of tortillas. Earlier in the day at home, I had put a chicken in the crockpot so we had burritos for dinner with our fresh, healthy, delicious tortillas!

Thank you, Valerie! Thank you, Elsy!

1 comment:

  1. HOW FUN! I miss Country Clutch! You'll have to teach me your tortilla tricks! I make them, but they always are shaped more like Texas than a tortilla.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Note: Anonymous comments are allowed so that those without blogger accounts can easily comment. However, please identify yourself or it will most likely not be posted. Thank you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails